Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Failure is an option, but it's not the only option

Fail
verb (used without object)
1. to fall short of success or achievement in something expected, attempted, desired, or approved: The experiment failed because of poor planning.
2. to receive less than the passing grade or mark in an examination, class, or course of study: He failed in history.
3. to be or become deficient or lacking; be insufficient or absent; fall short: Our supplies failed.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fail

I fail. 

Before you get all, "oh, I'm sure you don't, you're great!" bear with me - I. FAIL. Every. Single. Day. And that is okay. 

Failing is okay, because I am human. I am not meant to succeed at everything; how else will I learn and grow? How will I teach my children that it's okay to lose (not not win) that game or to be the best drummer/singer/dancer/mathlete? Failing is a part of life; it is not a pretty part and sometimes it hurts like hell.  

It has taken me 30 years to learn, understand, and accept that I will fail, but that it does not define me. This post is not about being down on myself - it's about recognizing that I will make mistakes. I will stumble. I will fail, but I will also succeed. Some dats the successes will outweigh the failures and some dats they will not, but unless I actually try I'll never know the outcome. 

I'm not looking for validation, but for accountability. I have always been the kind of person that puts in a little effort and if that effort doesn't pay off immediately, I quit. I was so afraid of failing that I never really gave anything a chance. There are a lot of changes I need to make in my life so I can be a better wife/mother/daughter/sister/friend/employee/person. Some of these changes are big and will take time and others are simple and just require a little effort. 

This month my goals are:
Get a handle on our budget
Put together my coupon binder
Start grocery shopping with intention
Put together a weekly meal plan 
Finish those dishes ( you know, the ones you hide when company comes over)
Fold AND put away every load of laundry 

I know there are more things I need to do this month, but I think these are lofty enough goals to start out with. 

Now, what I need from you, dear reader, keep me accountable - don't let me fail/give up/ignore my goals. If you have ideas/tips/tricks I welcome them. 

I got this idea from one of my favorite bloggers - she is working on not only living but thriving intentionally, and that is my ultimate goal. So let's help each other not only live but thrive and not let any failures bring us down.

No comments:

Post a Comment